[StBernard] Livingston Parish Added to Individual Assistance Program

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 14 20:05:15 EDT 2005

Livingston Parish Added to Individual Assistance Program

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said today that the U.S. Department of
Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), in
conjunction with Louisiana officials, has added Livingston Parish to the
Individual Assistance Program after further damage assessments in the wake
of Hurricane Katrina.

The individual assistance program, administered by FEMA, is designed to help
residents in the areas most seriously affected by the recent storms.

Under this program, which may include cash grants of up to $26,200 per
individual or household, residents may be eligible for housing assistance
that could include housing expenses reimbursement (for a hotel or motel);
rental assistance (cash payment for a temporary rental unit or a
manufactured home); home repair cash grant; home replacement cash grant; or
permanent housing construction in rare circumstances.

"Today I learned that residents of Livingston Parish, whose homes were
damaged or destroyed by Katrina, were not receiving the FEMA relief to which
they are entitled," Governor Blanco said. "I spoke this afternoon with FEMA
Director David Paulison about this problem and am able to report that he
acted quickly on my request for prompt action. Livingston Parish residents
whose home sustained significant storm damage will receive the disaster
assistance they deserve."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (LDRF), Louisiana's fund for
Louisiana's people, has been established by Governor Kathleen Babineaux
Blanco in order to support long-term family restoration and recovery and
help provide assistance to our citizens in need through a network of
Louisiana charities and non-profit agencies.

1-877-HELPLA1 (877-435-7521) www.louisianahelp.org