[StBernard] Looking for Help

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 17 09:21:44 EDT 2005

----
See reply below
----

To anyone who can help:
We are anxious to leave Chattanooga and would gladly accept ANY work; we
just want to go home. I have called FEMA numerous times and will drive (for
the fourth time) this Friday to Chalmette to speak to them about getting a
trailer in front of my home on Corinne Avenue. There is a light pole
directly accross the street, so it should not be difficult for Entergy to
run a power line to the trailer the same as they do for new construction. I
understand that water will be available next week, so I would only need to
either find the wash-out line or pay to have the waste removed the same way
they handle port-o-lets. Once there I can start to rebuild. Having to drive
to within 4 hours of Chalmette to locate a room, then work six hours, only
to have a 5-6 hour ride back doesn't afford much time to clean-up. This has
been the process for the last three weekends and I have mad e minimal
progress. I am driving back again this coming Friday, and hope to meet with
FEMA, and hopefully they will have some answers. I can't blame them when
they are telling me that they cannot make decisions on "who gets a trailer"
until the EPA and the parish officials decide who can return. At this point,
if I can get a trailer in front of my house, I will sleep in the dark. If we
want to see the parish rebuilt, EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THAT PEOPLE ARE
RETURNING TO STAY.
I know that our officials are busy, but sometimes it seems like certain
priorities are out of order. For example, last week we drove down Highway
190 and found nothing but destruction, however, ALL THE TELEPHONE POLES HAD
BEEN REPLACED AND WIRED. This is progress, but we only saw six people all
the way to the bridge. This effort should have been directed to St. Bernard.
When can we expect electricity and in what order. It is obvious that Arabi
is pretty much gone, so the first areas to get water a nd electricity would
be those located past Paris Road to the Refinery, then Middle Chalmette,
Carolyn Park, etc.
I don't want to leave St. Bernard, but I can buy a house here cheaper than
in St. Bernard, and could move on with our lives. Please post the official
plans on the parish website as soon as possible so that we know whether or
not we are wasting our time. Thank you and God Bless.

RESPONSE

If you already have a trailer then you are ahead of the game. If it is a
personal trailer, you may bring it in and sit it in your driveway now. We
will assist you in having the temporary pole turned on. The water supply
will hopefully be on time- remember the estimate has been fluid. Sewerage
can be tied into the current system and we are planning to pump at the lift
stations. Kudos should be handed to th water and sewer department for their
work effort.

Entergy is working very hard- they are having to rebuild the entire system,
but are working with us to get temporary service to many areas. Telephone
service is a ways away, but cell service is working better (for some).

We do want people to come back- sorry about the hold up. If you need a
place to stay during your cleanup- there is a tent city available until the
trailers are available from FEMA.

Hope this helps,
Craig