[StBernard] Declare the parish uninhabitable

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Oct 18 14:37:25 EDT 2005

Westley,

It appears that the site is turning into a psuedo nola.com. Here is the
fact of the matter on the parish being declared uninhabitable.

There is extensive damage throughout the parish- The vast majority of
homes are uninhabitable and this has been made known and pushed to FEMA
since they arrived, evidenced by FEMA's new decision not to continue to
inspect homes for livability. As far as a declaration that the parish is
unihabitable is redundant to what has already been done. If insurance
companies are fighting residents over insurance benefits, this has
nothing to do with our declaration. We declared to the insurance
commissioner over four weeks ago that our homes were vastly
uninhabitable so that he could inform the insurance industry of the
same; this is partly why the insurance companies started totalling out
flood policies in many large areas of the parish, even without a visit
to the home.

This may be a semantical issue, but it must be known that the condition
of the parish has never been minimized to any federal, state, or
contracted agency. The misinformation about uninhabitable is confusing
people and some of the insurance adjusters are using this to hide
behind. The building assessment of each property is ongoing and should
be completed by mid November. The parish council will begin making
decisions on the properties in the next week or so and the building
inspections will be one aspect of the decision- also factors of
environmental damage and econoomic feasability will also be considered.

There are some people who are already cleaning out their home and
starting the repair process. These people would certainly disagree with
the entire parish being uninhabitable verses the approach that many
homes in the parish are uninhabitable.

Assistance in the clean up process is also being worked on. We are
currently finding a way to get into the private properties for
assistance for those people who request and approve it.

Hopefully this will help the misunderstanding and the whole sand thing
concept.

Craig Taffaro