[StBernard] Governor Blanco appoints Senator John Breaux

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 24 16:02:23 EDT 2005

Governor Blanco appoints Senator John Breaux
to lead Louisiana's legislative efforts in Washington

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco announced today the appointment of former
U.S. Senator John Breaux to lead Louisiana's efforts for passage of federal
hurricane recovery legislation.

"Senator Breaux has agreed to assemble and lead a team of former members of
Congress from Louisiana who will work with our delegation to secure passage
of a wide range of bills important to Louisiana's future. Those include
appropriations for flood control, coastal restoration, business assistance,
aid to local governments, and health care," Governor Blanco said. "John
Breaux's 32 years of experience on Capitol Hill -- combined with his proven
record of success and his warm relationships with leaders of both parties --
will be invaluable to us in the coming months."

Governor Blanco said she is confident that Breaux and other former members
of Congress will work well with the current members of Louisiana's
delegation, as well as with other members of Congress and President Bush and
officials of his administration, to ensure that Louisiana's critical needs
are addressed. She has asked Breaux to work on her behalf with members of
the Louisiana delegation in developing an aggressive strategy to implement
the federal legislative priorities developed by her and the Louisiana
Recovery Authority (LRA).

"I am eager to continue serving Louisiana, but especially so in this time of
great need," Senator Breaux said. "Our state deserves no less consideration
by Congress than the citizens of New York after 9/11 and the people of
Florida after last year's devastating hurricanes. I look forward to working
with our current delegation and my former colleagues to mount an aggressive
effort to enact Louisiana's critical legislative priorities."

Breaux, who will donate his services to the state, said he expects to form a
team of former Louisiana members of Congress who are currently working in
Washington. In addition to working with the current delegation and his
former congressional colleagues, Breaux and his team will be assisted by the
LRA's federal affairs committee and the Governor's director of federal
relations, Stephanie Leger.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (LDRF), Louisiana's fund for
Louisiana's people, has been established by Governor Kathleen Babineaux
Blanco in order to support long-term family restoration and recovery and
help provide assistance to our citizens in need through a network of
Louisiana charities and non-profit agencies.