[StBernard] Governor's Statement about today's White House prevailing wage decision

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Oct 26 20:49:42 EDT 2005

Governor Blanco's Statement about White House decision
rescinding unfair prevailing wage decision

"I am gratified by the news that President Bush will exempt Louisiana from
his Executive Order suspending provisions of the Davis-Bacon Act for the
areas affected by Hurricane Katrina. The decision to allow federal
contractors to pay less than pre-storm prevailing wages was unfortunate and
unfair to our people.

"I strongly protested this decision because many of our workers are doing
working the same jobs they had before Katrina for far less money -- at a
time when they are in desperate need of adequate wages.

"As I told the President in my letter of September 30, "Our own companies
are losing contracts when they are competing against outside companies who
are taking advantage of your order by paying incredibly low wages and
bringing in workers from elsewhere... Our state and our economy have already
been devastated. I don't think Louisiana's workers should be given less
consideration in wages than other Americans just because we have suffered a
disaster.

"Despite this good news, I remain concerned about the low number of
Louisiana businesses that have been given contracting priority by the
federal government, as well as the inadequate numbers of Louisiana workers
hired by those companies. By hiring our workers and our companies, the
federal government will enable the State of Louisiana and its citizens to
support their families with good jobs and rebuild our infrastructure and
economy."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (LDRF), Louisiana's fund for
Louisiana's people, has been established by Governor Kathleen Babineaux
Blanco in order to support long-term family restoration and recovery and
help provide assistance to our citizens in need through a network of
Louisiana charities and non-profit agencies.