[StBernard] FEMA flood maps 1975 or 1985

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Oct 27 23:41:06 EDT 2005

I read the T-P article today in which it states that St. Bernard flood maps
were last updated in 1975. Perhaps this is a misprint. My slab elevation
certificate dated 1989 from Estopinal Surveying gives the required 1985 (not
1975) FEMA base flood minimum elevation and references the 1985 (not the
1975) FEMA community map for the flood zone I'm in. There is probably a
significant difference between the 1975 and the 1985 FEMA requirements. A
confirmation by Mike Hunnicut could clear this up. For example, my elevation
certificate says Corinne Avenue just north of Genie Street is A-2 zone and
the minimum slab elevation is plus 1.0 NGVD (NGVD is technical talk for sea
level, though not precisely the same to engineers and surveyors), which is
why Corinne Estates is a few feet higher than the older section of Corinne
and higher than Charles and Campagna.

Deborah Keller