[StBernard] Damage Assessments/Potential Demolition

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Oct 29 23:57:44 EDT 2005

Editor's Note: As much as we don't want to think about it, our mortgage
companies also have a stake in our homes. Depending on how long you had
your mortgage, they may actually have a larger financial stake in the home
itself then you do.

Most of the major mortgage companies use a company called SafeGuard
Properties to check up on properties, especially if the loans have gone
delinquent. SafeGuard sent me an email earlier asking for information, I
will send it after this email, and I talked with their representative and
also with Councilman Craig Tafaro before deciding to let the email go
through.

I am looking at this mainly from protective point of view. There is nothing
that will stop SafeGuard from getting the information they need to pass on
to the mortgage companies. The best that could happen from a homeowners
point of view is it would slow them down.

So I decided to try and flip the cards somewhat. The mortgage companies
have guidelines from the different federal agencies (VA, HUD, Fannie Mae,
Freddie Mac, etc) that they must follow, especially in the wake of Katrina.
The banks know these rules, we don't. By not knowing the rules, we can't
cry foul if the banks break them. Therefore, I have asked SafeGuard to
supply us with the rules, just as they do the banks, so we can be sure the
playing field is as level as possible.

You should not have to worry about it as long as your deferrement is in
place or you continue making your mortgage payments. I am worried about
those who may have trouble paying current living expenses in another house
and trying to maintain their mortgage payments at the same time and that is
why I want us to know what the rules are.

I am hoping we can use SafeGuard as a liaison to also tell the mortgage
companies what sort of assistance we need from them as a whole. One example
would be to help lobby for passage of HB3922, the Flood Insurance bill.

There is a lot of information below, especially in the links that are
attached. No one person can truly read and understand all of them, but with
the 600+ members of this list, hopefully we can watch our for each other.

Thanks,
Westley