[StBernard] State Insurance Changes

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 2 07:19:30 EST 2005

>From a Times-Picayune article:

---
Blanco also is seeking a law that would require property insurers in
Louisiana, including those providing homeowners coverage, to offer insurance
in all areas of the state, not just those outside of the hurricane areas.

But state Insurance Commissioner Robert Wooley, who said he was not
consulted about the initiative, opposed the idea, saying it would drive away
the industry.

"If we pass that law, we won't have an insurance market," Wooley said.

Rep. Karen Carter, D-New Orleans, who chairs the House Insurance Committee,
said she wants to make sure that companies do not drop policies as coastal
Louisiana struggles to rebuild. She said a company should not be allowed to
write policies in north Louisiana and drop or refuse homeowners and
businesses in south Louisiana.
---

We need to watch for the outcome of this.

Westley