[StBernard] Where are the Children?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 2 23:31:23 EST 2005

For those who saw today's Picayune,Nov. 2nd, you can't seriously be
thinking of sending your children and grandchildren back to school in St.
Bernard. Two workers are holding the big letter "C" in front of Chalmette
High. Since these men are wearing protective clothing including boots and
masks, how can the children be safe?
The 2 refineries have been emitting poisons into the air and river for a
long period of time. My son left Chalmette 20 years ago and my daughter 10
years ago. As much as I love them I was glad when they left. People can talk
about the jobs and money the refineries bring into the parish, but is it
worth your child's life?
Of course not!!!
I know we're part of what is referred to as Cancer Alley. Isn't that
comforting? I think it extends from Baton Rouge to the mouth of the river.
Children are,by far, more precious than anything else we have lost. We're
upset that we lost pictures and videos but we can make new ones.
Think about it. Some residents say how much they love the parish and don't
want to leave. It's not the parish, it's the people.
Thanks,
David Jochum