[StBernard] HB3922

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 3 23:06:40 EST 2005

Westley,

Here was a reply I just received from the co-sponsor of the bill.

Dear Ms. Hall:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3922, the Hurricanes
Katrina and Rita Flood Insurance Buy-In Act of 2005. I appreciate hearing
from you on this important issue.

As you may know, this legislation would allow property owners
affected by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita who did not live in floodplains and
who did not have flood insurance to purchase coverage under the National
Flood Insurance Program. Thousands of homes were partially or completely
destroyed by the recent hurricanes, and unfortunately, many of the affected
homeowners were not required to purchase flood insurance because they did
not live in a federally designated flood zone. Because I believe that these
individuals need a chance to rebuild their homes and their lives, I have
cosponsored this important bill.

H.R. 3922 is currently pending consideration by the House
Financial Services Committee. As a member of that committee, I want you to
know that we have recently discussed H.R. 3922 at a hearing regarding the
National Flood Insurance Program. I am hopeful that we will soon be able to
consider the proposal in the full House so that homeowners affected by
flooding in the Gulf will experience some relief.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. Please do not
hesitate to contact me in the future if I may be of further assistance.
Also, I encourage you to visit my website at http://www.house.gov/cleaver,
where you can sign up for my electronic newsletter and receive updates on my
latest activities as your Representative.

Sincerely

Emanuel Cleaver, II

Member of Congress