[StBernard] Ideas

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 15 18:48:43 EST 2005

Westley:

I can't find Marvin LeBlanc's email address, but wanted to respond to this
request for feedback relative to the "new" St. Bernard". As some may seem
silly at an initial glance, I have tried to provide examples, when
appropriate:

(1) Limit the number of "doubles, tri-plexes, etc." that can be built in a
single area so that we don't have a repeat of Village Square. It is not
realistic to expect the parish to be comprised solely of single family
residences. The Parish Council should establish clear, concise, regulations
for these units, such as having the waste receptacles "hidden" by adequate
wood or metal walls. Out-of-state owners should be required to perform an
on-site inspection of their units not less than once every six months. The
inspection would be performed, for a stated fee, with a representative of
the parish (Dept of Public Works, Permit Department, or ?), and any
deficiencies would be noted and subject to a fine if not corrected within a
specific period of time. The expenses for the inspection process would be
recovered from the inspection fees and fines.

(2) Create a cement/blacktop walking trail across the top of the levee
running from Arabi to Paris Road. Chattanooga has a cement walking trail,
with lights, that stretches from the suburbs to downtown, and I assure you
that the walkway is used extensively.

(3) Although expensive, we should have a bridge instead of a ferry going
from Chalmette to the Westbank. If the height needed to accommodate shipping
prohibits the building of such a bridge, perhaps a drawbridge could be
installed.

(4) Place the Sidney Torres park under the supervision of the parish, to
control use of the shelters. Additional shelters should be built, and any
RESIDENT wishing to use the shelter would pay a nominal fee to reserve a
shelter.

(5) Eliminate the placement of as many signs as possible off Judge Perez
Drive and St. Bernard Highway. When possible, instead of staking another
sign in the ground, mount the sign to an existing light pole. This would
assist the grass-cutters by removing another obstacle, insuring a thorough
cutting of the neutral grounds, rather than having freshly cut neutral
grounds overshadowed by high grass around the signs. It would also save the
parish some money since they would purchase fewer metal posts.

(6) Perform a thorough clean-up of the parish canals, dredging where
necessary to insure an adequate flow of water during heavy rains. We also
need to have the Sewerage and Water Board ride around the parish during
heavy rains, to identify areas of concern. For example, every time it rains,
the corner at the rear of Bank One/Chase and Gulf Coast Bank, floods. It is
obvious that the drain there is not functioning properly, and needs to be
corrected. Trustees that the sheriff's office approve could be used to help
with the clean-up process.

(7) Each neighborhood should be encouraged to have a neighborhood
association to assist in the maintenance of the neutral grounds, and to
promote periodic social gatherings so that everyone knows each other, which
will make the residents more cognizant when strangers are in the area.

(8) The Sewerage and Water Board should promote the use of the automatic
payment option. This would eliminate work for S&W personnel, and would
insure that the parish has these payments on deposit, earning interest, as
quickly as possible.

(9) We should all make a concerted effort to keep the parish clean. The
street sweepers should be in use daily, and fines should be issued to litter
offenders.

(10) We should require all businesses to have parking lots that are either
cement or blacktopped. This continual use of "shells" does nothing more
than add trash to the drains and crack windshields. New businesses could be
exempted for a period of six months, to insure that they will be around for
the long-term.

(11) We should realign our Mardi Gras schedule to insure that we have at
least one parade in St. Bernard on Mardi Gras. People shouldn't have to
fight the crowds in Metairie and New Orleans, when they have a great
opportunity to enjoy the day near home.

(12) All schools should be air-conditioned, including the gyms and
cafeteria's. These facilities are used for multiple functions, and with
school starting in August, students should not be expected to "sweat it
out".

These are a few quick thoughts that I have. I know that there will be many
others, as those of us returning look forward to a newer, more prosperous
St. Bernard.

--
John F. Richardson