[StBernard] Height requirements

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 16 15:08:53 EST 2005

May I add some comments to the discussion of height requirements of new
housing? I grew up on West Beauregard St. which never had any instances of
flooding prior to Katrina. This neighborhood was considered close enough to
the river and its higher elevation along its banks that no one expected
flooding. After Betsy the flood waters stopped at Riess Pl. With Katrina
came over 4 ft. of water. If this happened because of the MRGO and coastal
erosion then we can only expect flooding to happen again because it will
take years to correct problems with those situations. My suggestion is that
anyone who is considering rebuilding should seriously consider raising their
home starting at a minimum of 2 feet at the river and rising accordingly as
your location gets closer to the bayou depending to the flood levels that
your particular neighborhood experienced after Katrina. I hate to say this
but all residents of St. Bernard Parish may be facing flooding issues until
our natural and man made defenses are repaired and that could take a long
time!

Penny Tassin