[StBernard] Rebuilding efforts/deeats

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 16 21:23:35 EST 2005

Westley:

I can't think of two people providing more information to the residents of
St. Bernard, especially to those of us outside of Louisiana, than you and
Craig Taffaro. On behalf of all of us, Thank You.

I suspect that I am not alone in wondering whether or not the actions I am
taking are appropriate. Specifically, at this point, I have both worked and
hired others to assist me in gutting both my house and my daughter's. My
daughter's home was fairly small, so the effort and the expense was minimal,
and insured that there would be no further growth of mold or mildew. I have
spend nearly $10,000 thus far, on the assumption that I will be able to
return to my home. I am ready to begin the electrical work, but cannot
moved forward without knowing whether or not the downstairs wiring will have
to be replaced. I see no reason why the Rom ex wire would have to be
replaced, as it is coated in plastic; to me, we would simply cut the ends
connected to the outlets, and place the outlets in the trash. The romex
wire would then be reconnected to new outlets. I have seen this issue
brought up by others, and the decision of the parish could influence whether
or not we go any further in rebuilding, or purchase a home elsewhere,
something I do not wish to do.

I can understand a requirement to replace aluminin wiring, or wire that was
installed without a plastic coating, but those issues can be identified.

Another area of concern in continuing to rebuild is the "true effect" of the
Murphy Oil Spill. One article implies imminent death; the other indicates
that the chemicals are virtually harmless, and will continue to go away,
over time.Can the parish web-site speak to us in lay-man's terms, so that we
have athough understanding of the risks?

Finally, I have been contacted by :FEMA pm several times in regards to
request a trailer. Easd h time I received the same presonse. (Please
o========
--
John F. Richardson