[StBernard] Ideas for the new St. Bernard

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 19 20:00:00 EST 2005

Kathy, I think "uniqueness" is one thing and great (even good) food is
another. I've been a resident of SB for over 30 years and to date, have not
found what I consider "great" (ahem! - dare I say palatable even?). Even
Tony's which used to make "dynamite" sandwiches has had its food degraded
with changing of the bread (from "air fluff po'boys" to heavy dough-filled,
high-caloric ones). Rocky and Carlos (which I personally didn't find healthy
or flavorable <in exception, it's 10,000 calorie cheese & mac>) has had its
own problems with health issues,etc. (Gawd, did you ever see so many fat
people and arteriosclerosic/high blood pressured,cholestral-induced folks?).

Other than those two, (oh, occasionally PAR 3, but many will argue the
price doesn't match the quality of Olive Garden, etc establishments.

As I previously mentioned, everyone wants to be a cook in da parish. In the
same breath, everyone thought their wife or husband was an international
chef and opened something.

The greatest asset to da parish was outdoor activity, culture, safeness
(though that's challenged by the recent infusion of New Orleans populations
pouring into neighborhoods), and freedoms. (For the most part, people were
nice, but I've seen a degrading of folks trusting one another, minding their
own business by neighborhood distancing from each other through the years).

It will be interesting to see what St. Berard will become and which
restaurants, business, etc. would be interested in making St. Bernard its
new home. There are so many unknowns that I believe, for the time being,
we'll get some of the older business back, because they too, for the most
part have known the parish to be their homes from the beginning or have been
long-term (and you know what they say about "old dogs and new tricks"
wanting to accept change).

Therefore there is a "conflict" between becoming progressive and remaining
constant and non-compliant to changes. We shall see...

==jer.