[StBernard] Adult Bookstores

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 19 20:01:57 EST 2005

After reading a few of the ideas that some of you have , I will say this .

This is a golden chance for developers , architects ( building and
landscape) to partner with government and business leaders. BE CREATIVE.
Not only REPAIR but also RETHINK
zoning ----

In my job I travel to many major cities around the world. One of the
things I really like to see are small districts that were once run down or
ravaged by hurricane - Charleston or Earthquake - San Francisco small
pockets within a big city and now beautiful -booming with commerce.
Suburbs like Clayton, MO outside St. Louis ------- Stockyard District of
Omaha ...........

We have a National Monument right on the River ---- What do we have near
there besides the port. Make a River District ----- shops -- offices ---
restaurants .... I know plenty of this will depend what type businesses are
coming back. St. Bernard Why -- provided everything is okay with levees.

St. Bernard, as last I have heard was one of 19 parishes and/or counties in
America without a new car dealership ---- and mall. The need for National
Chain restaurants may not be supported -- because of a small town feel
----our people like local business. Plus i'll put a Bens Special up
against any Pizza in the world --- while we at it-- throw po - boy
sandwiches from about 20 different places ( Tags - Desis - Rockys - Tonys)

Places where your major retailers can be sectioned but also you have an
entertainment distinct . Where you have restraunts -- bars --- but a
consistent design in the buildings
a Farmers Market --- A Fisherman's Market ---- Our biggest industry --
Have the seafood places in on area with the Tomato stands -------- an
enterprise zone.

Imagine old Arabi or near the courthouse as a shopping district --
boutiques, restaurants , offices -- all adhering to specific type buildings
and designs for consistency.

Although I have not lived in the parish for a number of years, but still
support many organizations in the parish. My folks and family do. I will say
that whoever is on this committee in rebuilding -- THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.
That is what will draw people back.

St. Bernard's greatest asset is the people -- the citizens are loyal and
if you lived in the parish -- you are proud to be from the parish
That is why the parish is great and IM proud to be a native son.

Mike Brechtel