[StBernard] President approves Governor Blanco's request for additional hurricane relief

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 19 21:07:41 EST 2005

President approves Governor Blanco's request for additional hurricane relief

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said today the White House contacted her
to report that President George Bush has granted her request to increase
disaster relief for repairing and rebuilding facilities and infrastructure
damage caused by hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Governor Blanco requested the
additional federal relief in letters to President Bush on Nov. 14.

Governor Blanco said the President has approved extending, through Jan. 15,
2006, the time that the federal government will reimburse state and local
agencies 100 percent for Category A and B (debris and emergency). This means
that emergency disaster assistance such as debris removal and emergency
protective measures will continue at 100 percent reimbursement to the State
of Louisiana and local governments.

"I appreciate this extension and the critical help it provides to state and
local governments struggling to recover," Governor Blanco said. "However, I
will continue to ask for 100 percent reimbursement for the duration of the
incident and will request further extensions of this deadline."

In her letter to the President on Nov. 14, Governor Blanco said: "Many of
our parishes have confirmed that they are out of money or about to run out
due to the magnitude of these disasters and the loss of their tax bases,
making them unable to continue even the most basic governmental services. .
. . This and other information being generated by the federal and state
governments confirms what we have known in Louisiana for quite some time -
that Louisiana a! nd its parishes are unable to pay the projected $3.7
billion cost-shar e required under the Stafford Act for critical disaster
assistance.

"For this reason, it is now critical that your Administration and the
Congress take action on my request to increase the federal cost-share for
Hurricanes Katrina and Rita to 100% for all disaster relief program
authorized in the Stafford Act, including Crisis Counseling, Individual
Assistance, Public Assistance (all categories), and Hazard Mitigation."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (LDRF), Louisiana's fund for
Louisiana's people, has been established by Governor Kathleen Babineaux
Blanco in order to support long-term family restoration and recovery and
help provide assistance to our citizens in need through a network of
Louisiana charities and non-profit agencies.

1-877-HELPLA1 (877-435-7521) www.louisianahelp.org