[StBernard] Mormon Donation and More

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 19 21:19:13 EST 2005

Mormon Donation and More

November 19, 2005

By: Steve Cannizaro

----

National Mormom church donates numerous buckets of cleaning supplies for St.

Bernard residents and school kits for children; lock and key company opens.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has donated several
truckloads of 5-gallon buckets containing cleaning supplies for St. Bernard
Parish residents, school kits for children and food.

Pat Phillips of Harahan, a retired Orleans Parish teacher who does public
relations for the church, said the Mormons have been active in donating
needed supplies in the New Orleans area following Hurricane Katrina.
"The second day after Katrina hit the church had trucks from Salt Lake City
(Utah) bringing supplies in for the people of the distressed area,'' said
Phillips.

Her ex-husband, Vincent Phillips, who for years has been active in the
Louisiana Crawfish Festival in Chalmette through the Rummel Council of the
Knights of Columbus, suggested St. Bernard could use the help of the
Mormons, Pat Phillips said.

"We believe in being prepared,'' Pat Phillips said of the Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter Day Saints. "We have food items and supplies stored all
over the country. When there is a catastrophe our trucks are read to roll''
to bring humanitarian aid.

"We want to help the people.''

Thousands of 5-gallon buckets containing bleach, cleansers, masks, rubber
gloves ad brushes were donated to St. Bernard parish government to be given
to returning residents. "They have what you need to work in your home'' to
do clean-up, she said.

Food commodities and school kits containing notebooks, pens, pencils and
other items were brought for students, she said. Food commodities were also
donated.

The donated items are being stored and plans will be announced for
distributing them to the public, Parish Council member Judy Hoffmeister
said.

###

American Lock and Key Co., 2400 Reunion Drive, Violet, is open for business
in St. Bernard Parish.

Owner Vincent Davis can be reached at 504-236-0290.