[StBernard] Singer Tim McGraw Visits Chalmette

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 30 22:57:23 EST 2005

Singer Tim McGraw Visits Chalmette

November 30, 2005

By: Steve Cannizaro

----

Singer Tim McGraw stirs up excitement in Chalmette appearance on Tuesday

Hundreds surrounded music superstar Tim McGraw, a Monroe area native, when
he visited Chalmette on Tuesday to announce plans for a project to raise
donations for hurricane relief efforts.

McGraw, traveling with Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu, drew cheers from some 200
people in front of the St. Bernard Parish government building when he
referred to residents of Louisiana and Mississippi "as the most resilient
people in the world. All they need is a little boost.''

He said a new song of his, "Louisiana,'' will be used in a project involving
other musical groups to raise money.

McGraw, 38, also said he doesn't think the plight of victims of the major
hurricanes this year has gotten the attention it deserves and should be more
of a top priority nationally. "I'm affected to be here,'' he said. "I can't
tell you the feelings I have about my home state.''

He also said it was "heartbreaking to know what would happen'' to their home
states of Louisiana and Mississippi, respectively, as he and his wife,
singer Faith Hill, watched the news about the approach of Hurricane Katrina
in August. "It was scary.''

"I have no doubt the Gulf Coast will come back,'' said McGraw, who didn't
perform but tirelessly signed autographs for numerous fans after speaking to
the crowd. He also met with St. Bernard Parish President Henry "Junior''
Rodriguez and other parish officials before seeing the storm-ravished area.
Rodriguez teased McGraw, saying he was disappointed he hadn't brought Faith
Hill with him. McGraw replied, "She's baby-sitting.''

McGraw, 38, has won two Grammy Awards, including one this year for Country
Album of the Year. He also won the 2004 People's Choice Award for Favorite
Male Music Performer and has sold more than 33 million albums. McGraw was
part of the Hurricane Katrina relief concert nationally televised in
September.

Representatives of the company Amazon.com said McGraw and other musical
artists are taking part in a project to help raise donations for charities
that are helping storm victims.

Beginning Wednesday, Nov. 30, and going until just before Christmas, fans
can go online to Amazon.com and listen to music from various artists and
donate money for hurricane relief. McGraw's song, "Louisiana,'' will be the
featured song on Wednesday and afterward the music of other artists
including Hill, Paul McCartney, Carly Simon Elton John and others will be
featured each day.