[StBernard] Boasso, Odinet and Scurich - responses

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 6 08:29:25 EST 2005

This will probably show my Naiveté, but here goes....

It's time to move toward regionalism instead of parochialism regarding these
levee boards.

I have to assume that Sen. Boasso was thinking of his constituents in
crafting this bill.

After all the publicity regarding levee "inspections" that were drive-bys
and other such things, we must move to a professional setup. As we have now
seen it is literally a matter of life and death.

Having read John Barry's book I have as much skepticism as anyone else
regarding the Dock Board or the Port of N.O. when it comes to St. Bernard
Parish.

However, the parish was/is no longer a "fishing community"or what-have-you.
It was comprised of professionals, doctors, lawyers and other good
middle-class folk. Hell! We even had what I consider a "super-rich" perso
n(s) in the Merauxs.

Further, when even the Times-Picayune says MRGO must be MRGONE you have an
idea where the sentiment is. Idon't believe Sen. Boasso would sign on with
those who want the MRGO open. There would be too much of a hue and cry over
that, no one would be allowed to live it down.

Sorry Mr. Odinet, you were wrong in what you did. We needed and still need
the super board for the levee system in metro NOLA. We have to get past the
old way of doing things. We had that and saw what happened.

J. York