[StBernard] 30 Day Rule on Claims

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Dec 7 18:24:04 EST 2005

I got a phone call from the Insurance Commissioners office this evening to
answer our questions about the 30 day rule on finalizing claims.

There was no suspension of this rule. Once "satisfactory proof of loss" has
been provided to the insurance company they have 30 days to settle.

The key is, of course, the "satisfactory proof of loss". If you meet with
an adjustor, that date will qualify as the start date, as long as the
insurance company does not ask for any other additional paper work.

The Commissioners office did state that due to the circumstances, you should
allow an extra week or two. If settlement goes beyond 6-8 weeks, then you
should file a complaint with the Commissioners office and you should also
demand the extra 25%. However, expect heavy resistance and the need to
possibly go into litigation for the extra 25%.

Westley