[StBernard] Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's Statement on Housing Initiatives

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Dec 11 10:33:52 EST 2005

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's Statement on Housing Initiatives

"Today I sent a letter to every member of the Louisiana congressional
delegation asking them to support supplemental federal appropriations for
hurricane protection levees and coastal restoration, community development
block grants for housing and assistance to homeowners, business loans and
grants, workforce training and education, and criminal justice and
interoperable communication systems, as well as funding for our agricultural
industry.

"Rebuilding safe communities starts with investing in a strong and
comprehensive hurricane protection and coastal restoration program. Coastal
protection is the most important recovery initiative. For the citizens of
Louisiana to feel safe in returning to their homes, it is imperative that
the levees and our coast be restored to provide true category-three
protection and that a commitment to protect against a category five
hurricane is made.

"We must rebuild our communities safer and also stronger with new and
restored housing. The hurricanes destroyed 205,000 houses in Louisiana and
another 70,000 in Mississippi. We can help rebuild our neighborhoods,
replenish our housing stock, and help homeowners rebuild with Community
Block Grant (CDBG) funding, which has been an effective and flexible tool
provided by Congress and used by states to restore housing stock after major
disasters, including after 9-11.

"My staff and board members of the Louisiana Recovery Authority have been
working with our delegation and our colleagues in Mississippi to
significantly expand the funding for Community Development Block Grants in
the supplemental appropriations bill currently being considered by Congress.

"I support Mississippi's request for $5.2 billion in CDBG funding and ask
Congress and all members of the Louisiana delegation to support our request
for $12.1 billion in CDBG funding, a significant amount of which will be
allocated for housing assistance.

"Another complimentary approach to helping Louisiana citizens get back into
their own homes is Rep. Richard Baker's HR 4100, the Louisiana Recovery
Corporation Act, which I support. This legislation would help Louisiana
citizens whose homes were destroyed clear their mortgages and prevent them
from losing their pre-storm home equity.

"When Walter Isaacson of the Louisiana Recovery Authority joined Mayor Nagin
in testifying, on my behalf, in support of Rep. Baker's legislation, we were
among the first to publicly support this important initiative. Creation of
the Louisiana Recovery Corporation is critical to helping homeowners get
their pre-storm equity out of their houses and to ensuring that mortgage
holders are paid off so that we can clear title and redevelop these
neighborhoods-with returning residents getting first priority to move into
the new houses.

"I also strongly endorse the Louisiana Recovery Authority's initiative to
make housing acquisition and elevation programs its first priority for the
use of mitigation funding. Making sure that our citizens get their pre-storm
equity out of their houses and helping them rebuild safely and quickly are
fundamental first steps.

"Finally, it should be noted that Louisiana is already doing its part on the
housing front. I have previously allocated nearly $200 million in tax exempt
bonds to build houses and apartments, and to renovate houses and apartments
that were damaged by the storms."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (LDRF), Louisiana''s fund for
Louisiana''s people, has been established by Governor Kathleen Babineaux
Blanco in order to support long-term family restoration and recovery and
help provide assistance to our citizens in need through a network of
Louisiana charities and non-profit agencies.

1-877-HELPLA1 (877-435-7521) www.louisianahelp.org