[StBernard] Entry to StBPCRC Comments

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Dec 12 18:40:21 EST 2005

Thanks Bill,

You are one great guy.

Craig

-----Original Message-----
I am writing this to try and help thosethat are seeking information.

I went to the recovery meeting yesterday and although i could only make one
committee meeting, there were five going on at the same time I was very
impressed with the sincerity and professonalism of the people putting this
on. Its obvious that these folks want to do whats right by the parish. I was
told they will be improving this web site so they can offer you more
feedback in the future. The site is currently being managed by a volunteer
so be patient.

The meeting I was in spent three hours discussing the
infrastructure,transportation ,recreational,and home needs of the parish. We
were encouraged to think out the box,not all of these proposals discussed
will be used but we still discussed them. I took no notes so here goes from
memory.

Close the industrial canal and build a new set of locks using the violet
canal. The violet canal would then become the new industrial canal.

Decrease the density of village square. Where a large apartment has been
destroyed replace it with a home or leave it greenspace.

Create a retirement subdivision,you would have to be over 55 yrs old to buy
and live there except for 10% who could be any age but it would never exceed
10% under 55 yrs old.

Buy up the homes in the murphy oilprint at pre katrina appraisal regardless
of insurance money you have received,joined with this would be opening new
land in meraux and giving those who were bought out a chance to buy at a
decent price. This murphy oil print land would then become a buffer zone for
those who live in the parish. It would remain greenspace with some of it
being used to build a central sports complex of ball fields ect.

Create new park areas. A free state backdown launch,a promenade with shops
and restaurants along the river.

Transportation, create a new highway to run alongside the 40 arpent. This
new road would be far enough away from homes not to cause noise problems. It
would exit at several areas along it route. The thought behind this is to
give Residents ,who work in New orleans a route in and out that would be
free of intersections and stoplights.

There was more, I will try to recall it and put it on at a later time or
maybe the crc will put it on themselves

Just as an example of the thought process at this meeting I stated I live in
the murphy oil print area and was asked if i was coming back. I am definetly
coming back along with a scattering of my neighbors. I was asked if i was
offered prekatrina value for my home would I accept it. I stated i definetly
would provided i was offered property in the parish were me and my
scattering of neighbors could live together. I am not going to leave st.
Bernard ever I will be buried there.

My thought process on the spill is this and I admit that i could be wrong
and others may be in a different situation so i understand where they may
disagree but I am only talking for me and my wife.

Murphy has cleaned the outside of my house and the driveways they will come
back and clean the inside and the dirt. When they finish a co. hired by them
will do toxicology test. If it is clear Epa will test behind them if it is
determined not to be clear murphy will have to clean it untill it is. This
was stated by our councilman at there last council meeting. J. Difatta
whoalso stated that

the company that murphy hired is regulated by the feds and is subject to
lose its license for lying. Now with this process in mind i feel that those
of us in the spill area will be in the cleanest section and most tested
section of the parish. Thats they way i feel ,right or wrong as i said
before make your own choice i have made mine.

Another subject that you may never get to see once the powers that be see
it. I apologize to the CRC for using there web site but our parish leaders
don't have anything like this and i need to reach the people.

I give the sheriffs office an A during and immediately after the storm.
Right now I give them an F. If you go into the parish please pay attention
to whats happening at the four entrances and exits. No longer do they check
IDs coming in but whats 10 times worse they are not checking cars and trucks
leaving. My buddy has a two story house and it was looted two days ago. they
came back yesterday and looted him again. the deputies comment, yes they are
looting a lot of two story houses. Naturally he took everthing out of his
house he could .,put it in his van with clear windows, it was stacked to the
ceiling and drove out they did not even look at him. I can't locate the
sheriff but if they don't get out of there cars and maintain those
checkpoints folks won't have anything left.My friend stayed upstairs in
his house and said although there was a curfew there were cars and trucks
moving all night ,some with their lights off. He said it seemed to be more
prevelant right before daylight, they loot and leave because they know the
deputies have been up allnight and won't be checking. I wold rather sit
in line an hour and know that us and our possesions are safe.

Last but not least. The last two council meetings i asked for the council to
have a town hall meeting. they said it was a good idea and would look into
it. never happened. now i read in the paper they are going to go to baton
rouge and have a meeting. But they still have not had one down in the
parish. Well this is for the president and the council. Yall'll better
start giving more information out and listening to what people are telling
you or you may lose your double wide trailer with that nice front porch and
get in line with the rest of us and wait for a fema 8x32.

Bill Schmidt