[StBernard] St. Bernard Residents Living in Tents

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 13 22:56:41 EST 2005

This is a transcript from a CNN story
<http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/12/13/transcript.wed/#second>

Post-Katrina Housing Woes

LLOYD: One of the ways in which the Federal Emergency Management Agency has
helped victims of Hurricane Katrina, is by providing trailers for those
whose homes were destroyed. But in Saint Bernard Parish, an area of
Louisiana that was devastated by the storm, some are still living without
proper shelter. Local officials argue that FEMA hasn't done enough to house
the hurricane victims; FEMA says it's willing to help, but doesn't know
where to put the trailers. Meanwhile, Susan Roesgen tells us how the victims
themselves are making do.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SUSAN ROESGEN, CNN REPORTER: Wayne and Charlene Conrad just wanted to live
again in their own home. So they are. Sort of. After weeks of waiting for a
FEMA trailer that has never arrived, they decided to buy a tent and put it
up in what's left of their living room. I like the do not disturb sign. This
is where the master bed is, just barely big enough for the two of them. The
house has no power except in the kitchen; that's where they boil the water
to help each other take a shower.

CHARLENE CONRAD, HOME OWNER: Pours it over me.. suds up.. pours more...
that's how we take our bath.

ROESGEN: Charlene and Wayne have tried to make living here as nice as
possible, for themselves and for another couple; longtime friends who set up
a tent in the Conrad's house too!

ROESGEN: Both couples are waiting for FEMA trailers.

CHARLENE: You call and you call and you call and it's busy, and then you get
a recording.. I don't know what to do.. all we're asking is that we get a
trailer.

ROESGEN: If Charlene would like to see some FEMA housing, she could go to
Arkansas. These are mobile homes purchased by FEMA for Katrina victims that
haven't been distributed to anyone - and one of these wouldn't fit in the
Conrad's driveway anyway, but a smaller travel trailer would. And even more
incredible to some people in St. Bernard -- 1,400 of them are sitting in
their own back yard, empty. The parish ordered them from a private
contractor just days after the hurricane, but they're not being used because
FEMA hasn't given the parish the money to pay for them.

LARRY INGARGIOLA, ST. BERNARD PARISH DIRECTOR OF HOMELAND SECURITY: They
won't pay for the trailers. If they don't pay for the trailers, I can't put
them out.

ROESGEN: Parish Homeland Security Chief Larry Ingargiola says he talks to
FEMA reps 3 and 4 times a day and can't get FEMA to fork over the money.
FEMA says it's not to blame. A FEMA spokeswoman in Washington, Nichol
Andrews says:

(GRAPHIC) 'We agree that it is time that people forced from their homes more
than three months ago have a place to call home. So far, FEMA has provided
rental assistance for more than 500,000 families and housed more than 40,000
in travel trailers.'

INGARGIOLA: We are ready for the trailers in St. Bernard. We are ready.

ROESGEN: People in St. Bernard are trying to come back. A few people have
FEMA trailers, but 15 to 20 thousand don't.That includes the Conrads.. still
waiting for a trailer... sleeping in a tent... camped out in their living
room instead. Susan Roesgen, CNN, St. Bernard Parish.

(END VIDEO CLIP)