[StBernard] Battlefield to re-open Jan. 7

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Dec 18 22:12:10 EST 2005

Battlefield to re-open Jan. 7

Chalmette Battlefield, site of the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, closed
since Hurricane Katrina, re-opens Saturday, Jan. 7, to commemorate the 191st
anniversary of the battle. Free activities are scheduled at the site, 9:30
am.-3:30 p.m., including military drills, cannon and musket firing along
with crafts and cooking demonstrations. Park staff and volunteers in period
clothing will represent American and British soldiers and civilians.

At 4 p.m., St. Bernard Parish will host a skirmish re-enactment between
American and British troops at the Pakenham Oaks area near the battlefield.

Supervisory park ranger Aly Baltrus said Katrina destroyed the historical
site's visitor center and caused terrible devastation in St. Bernard Parish
where the site is located, but area leaders convinced the National Park
Service to go on with this year's event.

"The event will help us all remember the Battle of New Orleans, where
Americans of every class and race and creed stood together to fight a common
enemy," said Baltrus. "Troops from Tennessee walked hundreds of miles to
fight the British at New Orleans and Louisiana men of every class and color
took arms at Maj. Gen. Andrew Jackson's call. We see a parallel today: south
Louisiana is in trouble, but other Americans are helping us and we are all
helping our neighbors, so we'll get through."

Chalmette Battlefield, 8606 W. St. Bernard Highway, Chalmette, is one of six
areas of Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve. Contact (504)
589-2636, ext. 1.

Call for young volunteers

Where are the free men of color and the Tennessee State Militia? Danny
Forbis, national park ranger in charge of Chalmette Battlefield's living
history program, is looking for student volunteers to participate in this
year's re-enactment of the Battle of New Orleans.

For the last four years, Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC)
students from Orleans Parish high schools and from Chalmette's Andrew
Jackson fundamental Magnet High School have portrayed soldiers at the annual
commemoration.

"The Orleans Parish students represented the battalions of free men of color
from the New Orleans area and the Jackson High students portrayed the
Tennessee state militia troops," said Forbis.

"Each year the students were issued period clothing and weapons and taught
1815 military procedures and history. The storms have scattered our student
soldiers and we want to hear from them," said Forbis, "We managed to save
all the uniforms and gear, and we hope that the students might be interested
in participating in this year's Battle of New Orleans anniversary Saturday,
Jan. 7."

Former JROTC students who want to serve again in Andrew Jackson's army are
asked contact Ranger Forbis at (504) 589-2636, ext. 1 or by e-mail at
danny_forbis at nps.gov.