[StBernard] St. Bernard Citizen Committee Feedback

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 23 01:20:50 EST 2005

I want to thank everyone who has sent information to the Committee. I feel
it is very important that as citizens of St. Bernard Parish we have input
as to how our parish will be rebuilt. The committee meets every Wednesday
at 1:00 pm, usually in one of the tents behind the government complex.
These are open meetings and everyone is invited. I encourage you to
continue to sending your ideas to me, post on the committee's web site
(stbpcrc.com) or attend one of the work groups meetings. Attached are the
comments I have received so far. The tentative plan is to submit these
ideas to the Parish Counsel in mid January. I am asking you to look over
these comments and send me the top ten ideas in the order you feel will
make St. Bernard a better place. All of the ideas will be submitted to the
Parish Counsel, but I want to make sure we have the comments that are most
important to you on the top of the list. Please take the time to make St.
Bernard a better place to live. I will compile the top ten but I need your
comments back to me by January 15. Thanks, and I hope everyone has a safe
holiday season.

Glenn

--------------------------------

December 11, 2005 CRC Meeting

Florida Avenue roadway connecting I-10/610 to Paris Road and Violet
Limited access and no businesses
Intracoastel waterway/locks at Violet canal, close the Industrial canal at
Poland Ave.
Mississippi River wharfs
Cruise ship terminal
Rapid transit system from New Orleans to Chalmette
Grain Elevators
Friscoville/LeBouef/Carabret House Promenade
Public boat launch in Hopedale/Shell Beach
Retirement community
Golf Course
Recreation/sports complex
Fishing industry
Hotels
Buffer zone around refineries and industry
Overpass at Center street railroad tracks
More North/South corridors
Miss. River bridge with loop around city
Outlet mall
Jackson Barracks tourist location or Economic development
Connect I-610/I-10 to Florida Avenue Corridor to Violet Canal. Have three
north-south roadways from Florida Avenue extension to the River
Connect I-510 across the River; connect to an expressway to connect to I-310
Expand Genie to two lanes with proper traffic control
Expand Judge Perez to three lanes
Utilize Mississippi River for trade, wharfs, cruise ships and Riverwalk
style shops
Shuttle/Trolley Jackson Barracks to Paris Road
Paris Road to Hannan
STB Hwy to Nunez CC.
Monorail from Paris to New Orleans, Metairie, and North shore

St. Bernard Unified students

Clean Parks like Audubon Park with swings, bike paths, picnic tables
Shopping Mall
Wireless communications
Teen Community Center
Entertainment/Cultural/ Counseling
Public transportation Timely every 20 minutes
More chain restaurants
More Technology in St. Bernard
Water parks like Blue Bayou

Chalmette Refinery

No metal building for commercial use
Make businesses landscape and use smaller signs
More usable green space
Stop giving variances, develop good building codes and stick to them
Make walkways and make parish more pedestrian friendly, walking to shops
safely
Walking and bike paths along roadways
Improved public transportation, Extend street car line from Canal Street
into St. Bernard
Make sure shrubs, vegetation, trees on neutral grounds do not obscure
traffic for turning or crossing intersection
More upscale restaurants
More recreational facilities, Sports complex & fair Grounds
Full Public disclosure for all elected and appointed officials and families
Sewer treatment systems at individual homes, parish to treat only discharge
All utilities should be underground
Improve wind rating requirements & Flood elevations of home
Close MRGO and restore coastal wetlands
Hurricane protection, higher levels or other structures to protect from Cat
5.
State of the art Medical facility
Tighter restrictions for buildings and stick to the codes
Get rid of Village Square
Better landmark to make people remember St. Bernard parish
Rebuild barrier islands
Artificial reefs
Florida Avenue extension from I-610/10 to Violet Canal
Time traffic lights (traffic study to improve efficiency)
Keep roadway clean of trash, issue fines for littering
Larger lot sizes ~ 1 acre
Bass Pro Shop
Public boat launches at Delacroix and Hopedale
Focus on Economic growth
Get education system back on line and develop plan for improvements
Best traffic control system available
Third major east-west thoroughfare
A rebuilding motto like ie..."St. Bernard is OPEN for business"
Development of Office Park
A beautiful St. Bernard Sign ordinances for height and square footage
Strict building codes nice facilities versus trailers for business, shell
parking lots
More parks, water parks and picnic parks
A community committed to integrity
ZERO tolerance for "back room" political patronage
ZERO tolerance for indifference to resolving issues standing in the way
of making our parish a safe place to raise our families and live our lives
to the fullest
Restoration of coastal wetlands
Taffaro interview
Replace problem sewer and Drain lines
Public fishing pier & boardwalk
St. Bernard Welcome Center
Battle Town along river with overlook, restaurants & shops
Redevelop fishing industry
Skate Park
Bike and Walking paths
Promote foot traffic & redesign curb system
Redesign streets/traffic control & speed control
Traffic Control plan
Connect interior streets w/east west streets
Bridges at Golden drive
Improve emergency communication system
Traffic to rear of housing
Over the lake rail system & connection to New Orleans
Improve water plant and distribution
Clean canals and improve drainage

Ponstein Interview

Need Central sewer treatment plant
New water distribution lines
Replace aluminum drain pipes
Clean canals study making wider and more canals
Use old Land Use Plan or develop new Land Use Plan
Rain water containment ponds
Underground wiring may not be the best New Technology
Develop utilities company Right of Ways
St. Bernard used old Arpent system
Go to grid system, line up cross streets