[StBernard] Governor's statement to legislators regarding a 2006 special session

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 29 23:14:41 EST 2005

Governor Blanco's statement to legislators regarding a 2006 special session

Today Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco issued the following statement to
members of the Louisiana Legislature regarding a 2006 special session:

"I know that there has been a great deal of speculation in recent weeks
regarding the likelihood of a special legislative session in early 2006. As
you know, I have consistently said since November that it might be necessary
to call a special session in January or February to consider a variety of
legislative proposals.

"You may also be aware that the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security
is conducting an investigation into the preparation and response to
Hurricane Katrina. While the Committee has informed me that my testimony
will be required sometime in late January or early February, I have not yet
been given a specific day and, therefore, do not know when I will be in
Washington. I hope to have this information from the Committee very soon so
that I can set a date for the start of the session. Nonetheless, it is my
hope that the way will be clear for a special session beginning in late
January.

"In the meantime, I appreciate your patience and understanding. I hope that
the Holiday season has been filled with blessings for you and your family,
and I wish you a happy and healthy New Year."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (LDRF), Louisiana's fund for
Louisiana''s people, has been established by Governor Kathleen Babineaux
Blanco in order to support long-term family restoration and recovery and
help provide assistance to our citizens in need through a network of
Louisiana charities and non-profit agencies.

1-877-HELPLA1 (877-435-7521) www.louisianahelp.org