[StBernard] Governor's statement on housing

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jan 2 10:02:39 EST 2006

The Governor's statement said:
Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's statement on housing
Housing on priority list for 2006

"With the close of 2005, we still have our citizens of Southeast and
Southwest Louisiana dislocated throughout the State and the Nation. It
remains our goal to bring all of our people home. I want to thank all
of you
who have hosted and cared for our citizens.

"As the recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita moves into the fifth
month, it is important that we continue to give priority to providing
temporary and long term housing for all of our displaced citizens. It
is
equally important that we provide housing opportunities statewide in a
fair
and equitable way. Each Parish and Municipality should evaluate every
option
available within each jurisdiction to provide assistance to FEMA and
the
State housing initiatives.

"I will not tolerate discrimination nor should any compassionate
citizen of
our state. These citizens are our friends, families, and neighbors who
have
lost everything through no fault of their own. We should want to help
them...

So does that mean that, in the case of that elderly lady who applied for an
apartment with Tonti and who had *ample* means to pay the rent, but just
wasn't working and didn't have a salary of 3.5 x the rent, that she (and
maybe my mom?) could file complaints with the A.G. and HUD? Tonti's
requirement makes no sense. I'm willing to bet that most of their renters
are going to be temporary in nature; folks waiting for insurance
settlements, etc. What the hell does it matter if you're 76 or 80 and can
afford to write out a check for 6 months rent? DUH!!

One of my St. Bernard neighbors is living in a Tonti apt and she said they
don't give a damn how much money you have in the bank. She was lucky in
that she had 2 pay stubs that included last full pay check and her vacation
time, otherwise she said she and family would have been up the creek.

Right now, I am on leave without pay from my agency. My understanding is
that if I can get down there, I can possibly work at NFC or maybe be loaned
out to another agency. If that happens and I'm back in full pay status, then
my mom and I would not have a problem with supplying the 3.5 x whatever
thing.

Tonti should be reported and I've saved the phone numbers for the AG and
HUD. People are trying to get home...if they can get an apt. then they can
get the FEMA assistance for rent, whether working or not. Tonti would not
be out a **dime** in all likelihood.

Jim
jaywhy321 at yahoo.com