[StBernard] Trees, Cars, Boats and Drainage

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 3 21:53:12 EST 2006

I'd like to know if there are funds budgeted to trim our beautiful
trees on our public rights of way, such as Judge Perez Dr, Palmisano,
Corinne, DeBouchel, etc. The trees are under stress and the limbs that
are broken are way too big and too high for volunteers to do any
trimming safely. If no funds are budgeted by SBPG, and I doubt they
were, is it eligible for FEMA reimbursement and has the SBPG asked for
this?

Also, the last I read about abandoned vehicles was that the State DOTD
was about to award a state contract to tow away vehicles that have not
yet been picked up by owners or insurance companies. We are now
starting our FIFTH month and there are still so many vehicles in
trees, and on lawns and neutral grounds remaining. I'd like to know if
DOTD did award the contract and if so, when will they get to St.
Bernard? And if I knew for a fact that they didn't, I don't mind making
a few calls to DOTD and find out who we can all send emails to about
this. Perhaps SBPG decided to handle this apart from DOTD, which may
not be a bad idea. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, although a lot of boats have been removed, the huge shrimp boat
from New Orleans is still sitting on someone's house towards the 40
Arpent Canal near Val Reiss Park. Any updates on boat removals from
residential areas?

And finally, I have noticed that our catch basins are so full of debris
and mud that drainage just isn't there for many streets. What is the
status of vacuuming out the drains.One house being pressure washed
floods the street. The April and May rains will soon be here and there
are so many clogged lines that we could be headed for street flooding
because the water can't reach the canals and culverts. Are there crews
working on this and can we get updates on that like the other utilities
on the sbpg.net website?

Deborah Keller