[StBernard] Unmasking Mardi Gras

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jan 8 17:23:32 EST 2006

As much as we all love Mardi Gras and think it would be a great morale
booster, it may be working against us and sending a double-message; I am
seeing the local Memphis news stations showing all the revelry for 12th
night and it just gives you the impression; everything's back to normal in
New Orleans; if they are having fun at Mardi Gras, they must be fine. I
think we are only "masking" what is really going on. I think its important
to be able to enjoy a celebration under the worst of circumstances but it
brings Ferris Buehler's Day Off to mind; if you are so ill, then how can
you be living it up? I think it would make more of a statement of the dire
situation if we were unable to Mardi Gras until next year. If the show must
go on, I think it would be nice to dedicate the head float out of respect
for the Katrina victims who can't be here. Mudpie