[StBernard] Volunteers Tackle Home Gutting

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jan 14 23:05:15 EST 2006

Volunteers Tackle Home Gutting

January 12 , 2006

By: Steve Cannizaro

----

Out-of-state volunteers gutting homes for the elderly and handicapped say
they didn't anticipate the enormity of the work remaining to be done.

Almost to the person, two groups of out-of-state volunteers gutting homes
for the elderly and handicapped in St. Bernard through the group Associated
Catholic Charities said they
had no idea the enormity of the work left to be done in the
areas ravaged by Hurricane Katrina.

And they say they intend to tell others back home, and in some cases write
to congressional delegations in other states, informing them the New Orleans
area and St. Bernard Parish in particular are far from getting back to
normal and still need continued federal help.

Based on national media reports, there is a perception that the situation is
near normal in this area, according to Mary Jo Pankhurst of St. Louis,
Mich., north of Lansing, who with her husband, Ike, are working as volunteer
coordinators in St. Bernard for Associated Catholic Charities.

"People (in her area) believe things are back to normal here,'' Mrs.
Pankhurst said as the couple oversaw volunteers working Wednesday on Norwood
and Fairfax drives in Chalmette, two areas hit by a water surge over the
roofs of their subdivisions. "We didn't know what to expect,'' she said.
"How much is ruined here is surprising.'' She added, "Inside the homes it's
really bad.''

She and her husband, who retired in April from Dow Chemical in Michigan, had
taken part in some volunteer activities in the past but after the hurricane
realized they were needed in Louisiana, they said. They volunteered through
a Catholic Church, and they eventually were put in touch with Associated
Catholic Charities in New Orleans, which has a program, Helping Hands, to
gut homes for the elderly, handicapped or people with financial problems. "I
guess the Lord must have called me here,'' said Ike Pankhurst.

They began in St. Bernard last week with a group of students from the
University of Florida and this week are working with a church group from
Iowa and students from Hobart and William Smith colleges in New York. The
Pankhursts will be here through Feb. 4 and have so far overseen the gutting
of about 10 homes in St. Bernard.

Anyone who believes they may qualify to have volunteers from Associated
Catholic Charities gut their homes can contact the group at (504) 371-7747
and ask for Debbie Koehler.

The New York students, here during a break between semesters, said what they
have seen has been almost shocking.

"We didn't expect it to be this bad,'' said Jillian Petrello.

Carolyn Smith said she and others were disappointed they had to wait four
months after Hurricane Katrina before they had time to come down to help,
figuring most of the work would be over. "But it looks like it (the flood)
happened yesterday,'' Smith said, wearing a Tyvek protection suit like the
others as they gutted a home on Norwood Drive.

"It's physically demanding and the stench is bad,'' Dale Watkins said when
asked about the gutting work.

Ave Bauder, director of public service for the colleges located at Geneva,
N.Y., said the schools have a good reputation for public service. Fourteen
students came now and others may return to help again during a spring break
in March, he said.

"When we go back there will be a lot of people who will know'' how bad the
group found the situation, Bauder said. In addition to speaking on campus
and in the surrounding community, Bauder said he believes it likely the
students will write letters to congressional delegations throughout the
country explaining this area still needs federal help.

Ariana Nussdorf said she feels so strongly she would take part in a march on
Washington, D.C., if possible.

Ike Pannkhusrt said, "It's heart-warming to see these young people working
so hard for others.''

Mary Jo Pankhurst said the students have gotten a special reward when they
have met with homeowners and seen their appreciation. "There's an emotional
connection,'' she said, adding that one day a student found the wedding band
of an elderly woman's deceased husband in a home, leading to a tender scene
when the student presented it to the woman.

Claudette Cushing, who owns the home on Norwood, said she can't thank the
students enough for working on her home. "I think it's wonderful that people
would be so kind to help us.'' She said, "I've been here 30 years,'' raising
children in the home. Now, she is living with a 94-year-old aunt on the West
Bank and her children are living in Tennessee after also being flooded.

On Fairfax Drive, a 17-member church group from Iowa was gutting another
home.

Karl Roberts, pastor of Bettendorf Christian Church, said the people helped
by his group seem to appreciate the work and "we've enjoyed it.''

"We encourage more groups to come down'' to work with flood victims, Roberts
said.

He added, "We think the devastation here is complete and gigantic in
proportion'' and that in his native area "I don't think they understand the
enormity'' of what has happened to Louisiana and the Mississippi Gulf
Coast.''

Roberts also said it's proper for people to help others who have been
devastated. "In America each citizen is the first line of defense. Then the
town, then the state, then the federal government.''