[StBernard] chocolate and vanilla

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 18 11:43:42 EST 2006

Gaby, There are too many on both sides of the racial divide that can't let
go. It would be nice if we could appreciate all our different cultures
without the ugliness of some believing they are above others, or believing
they should be exclusive. I went to see Glory Road with my husband on
Friday night, mainly because some of the scenes were shot in Chalmette
High's gym. The racism against the Black community portrayed in the movie
was upsetting, and it wasn't too long ago that racism was that "thick".
Maybe it will just take a little more time and a little more forgiving.

My mother is a full-blooded Mohawk from Kahnawake, Quebec, just across the
river from Montreal. Visiting the reservation on the average of once every
10 years, many there didn't recognize me as a Mohawk. I was on the
recieving end of the bitterness held toward the white man---r acism is not
kind in any respects. After having to experience this, I feel for those
Blacks that had to deal with it every day of their lives. It hurts to have
a whole community saying, "You are not worth as much as we are." As I said,
maybe a little more time and a little more forgiving.

Michelle