[StBernard] Corp of Engineers

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jan 23 08:27:50 EST 2006

Two questions:

1. Why is the standard levee height 17.5 feet? I thought the storm surge
was 30 something feet high. If so, what good is a 17.5 foot levee going
to do? 2. If there is a MRGO flood gate put right near the "Green Bridge",
wouldn't St. Bernard flood every time that flood gate is closed? Seems like
such a flood gate would protect New Orleans at the expense of St. Bernard
especially the areas below Paris Road. Many thanks, Terry Vinson Battaglia

**Hmmm, wondering exactly the same. While 17.5 might be a standard and
adequate height for most Mississippi levees (and then, one has to wonder),
how is it that this height IS adequate for our area? Do levees disolve at
heights higher? Do the experts feel no storm will ever again threaten our
community and lives? Is a "holland" flood gate going to be our area's savior
from another "blockbuster"? Do they expect another 40-100 years for the next
and we'll have short memories? Just pondering the logic...

Jer.