[StBernard] Governor's statement regarding Congressman Baker's housing bill

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 25 17:56:20 EST 2006

Governor's statement regarding Congressman Baker's housing bill

"The headlines say it all. The news is disappointing.

"They gave us a ladder to reach all of our housing needs, but the top rungs
are missing. Louisiana's housing plan is not complete without Congressman
Baker's housing legislation.

"Louisiana's housing needs are unimaginable. Representative Baker's bill is
an imaginative solution to our problems.

"The White House may be trying to kill a critical piece of our housing plan,
but we will not stop fighting for our people.

"Let me be clear. Louisiana is grateful that the U.S. Department of Housing
and Urban Development announced today that we will receive 54% of the CDBG
monies. But we still have three times the housing need. You can't fix a 12
billion dollar problem with 6 billion. The math doesn't work.

"Communities need help with infrastructure money. After all, homes cannot be
built without water, sewer and electricity. Families cannot be safe without
hospitals, police and fire departments. And communities can't thrive without
businesses-that's why Louisiana will also invest its money into assets to
make this recovery move forward.

"Our citizens are in dire need of housing. They are waiting for answers.
They are waiting for insurance checks and FEMA flood maps. They are paying
house notes but can't live in their homes.

"Our citizens need options. Congressman Baker's housing plan gave them those
options."

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org