[StBernard] Arbitration

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jan 29 16:30:11 EST 2006

Jer,

Everyone has to read their particular insurance policy and how it reads. For

example, I have State Farm and when you read my policy, it has a very
specific exclusion for any type of flood at all. They say it clearly every
different way they can think of to word it. My policy lists all the various
ways that water can come into a house and it excludes all of them except
rain that enters from a damaged roof. It excludes rising water whether it's
wind blow or not, or pushed in by wind or not. It specifically says it that
way, so they don't care about storm surge being blown in. And it says flood
insurance must be purchased separtely. They will not give you a break and
will only cover what they absolutely must as spelled out in the policy and
that can vary from policy to policy. So I think that is why this difference
in some people's strategy in dealing with the companies. I agree the surge
was pushed in by the wind, but if you would sue, at least my policy and the
way it reads, I don't think I would win with that argument so I will just
try to get as much as I can playing by their rules. Your policy may read
differently so you should try to figure out how you can get the most money
with yours. Good luck, Laurie