[StBernard] Levee Design

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 1 17:59:50 EST 2006

This is a follow up on an email I wrote previously about levee design.
I am now able to compare the 1965 Corps of Engrs.' project storm
criteria to the National Weather Service's Saffir-Simpson scale which
came out later. The Standard Project Hurricane Parameters for Coastal
Louisiana that the COE uses for their designs are: a central pressure
of 27.6 inches of mercury (falls within cat 4) , max. average wind
speed in a five minute time period of 100 mph (falls within Cat. 2, but
the Saffir Simpson scale is the average over a one minute time period
so it's not quite the same thing), storm surge 9 to 12 feet high (falls
within cat 3). This Standard Project Hurricane has a theoretical
probability of happening once in 200 years and is based on a
fast-moving storm on a certain, critical path.

However, keep in mind that the weather database doesn't have 200 years
of actual scientific data. Maybe in 2125 they'll be able to look back
on 200 years of data and have a better understanding of probabilities.

By comparison, Hurricane Katrina was reported at landfall at a
location of 60 miles southeast of N.O. to have a central pressure of
27.17 inches of mercury (cat 4) and a max sustained wind speed of 140
mph (cat 4). The storm surged varied a lot with Katrina, supposedly
anywhere from 11. 2 feet in the Industrial Canal and 15 to 25 feet in
the Miss. River and MR-GO. Many gages were destroyed in the storm so
there isn't a definite answer for all locations, or at least I couldn't
find it published anywhere with certainty.

So in summary, Katrina on the Saffir Simpson scale was a category 4 for
pressure and wind speed and a cat 4 or 5 for storm surge, depending on
location. By comparison, Katrina's pressure was within the COE design
criteria, the wind speed was higher, and the storm surge was within
theCOE's design range if you look at the interior canals like 17th
Street, London, and Industrial, but supposedly much more for the other
areas.

Sounds confusing, but it's to focus our attention that changing the
COE's criteria to Saffir Simpson Cat 4 or Cat 5 is an engineering
challenge and if they do this, in my opinion, they should keep it
simple and use the Saffir Simpson criteria, now that there is Saffir
Simpson. This way whatever we have is a true Category 4 or 5.

Deborah Keller