[StBernard] Governor's letter to legislators regarding opening of special session

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 1 22:09:29 EST 2006

Governor Blanco's letter to legislators regarding the opening of special
session

February 1, 2006

Dear Members of the Louisiana Senate and House of Representatives:

On Monday, February 6, the Louisiana Legislature will convene for a special
session to consider hurricane recovery legislation. In my call for a special
legislative session, I have put forth a clear path for continued recovery
that will build upon the progress made during the last session. To protect
our neighborhoods, we must reorganize southeast Louisiana's levee boards and
ensure continued accountability. To get displaced families back in their
homes, we must provide housing assistance and long-term solutions. To better
serve citizens, we must streamline New Orleans government. Our success calls
for leadership. I look forward to working with you to help our communities
and our families restore their lives.

On Monday, after the opening of the session at 10 a.m. in Baton Rouge, I
invite you to join me on a bus tour of the devastated New Orleans region,
concluding with an historic special joint session at 5:30 p.m. at the Ernest
N. Morial Convention Center's Conference Auditorium.

I know many legislators have toured Louisiana's devastated coast to see
first hand the massive recovery efforts that are underway. If we are called
to encourage economic progress, educational vitality, and quality
healthcare, then our leadership must be united and personally involved in
the struggle to lead this state toward healing and prosperity.

Following the 12-day special session, I will invite you on a continued tour
of the areas of southwestern Louisiana that were so severely damaged by
Hurricane Rita.

The Senate President's or House Speaker's Office will be in touch with you
shortly with further details. In the meantime, I am looking forward to
joining you on this tour and seeing you at the Ernest N. Morial Convention
Center's Conference Auditorium on Monday evening.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
Governor

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org