[StBernard] FEMA Trailer Inspectors-BEWARE

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Feb 6 21:40:42 EST 2006

Shaw Group/FEMA has advised some employers that have "exclusive use
trailer sites"
that people with badges identiftying themselves as working for a
company called L. E. I. are going to trailer
sites saying they are doing inspections for FEMA. THEY ARE NOT working
for FEMA. Employers are advising their security not to allow them
entrance should they show up.
There may be some inspectors from time to time, but they should have
Shaw Group or FEMA identification.

Last week at my husband's employer-trailer site, an employee went home
for lunch
and met a guy who indicated that he was an inspector contracted by
FEMA to inspect trailers and was there to inspect 2 other trailers, as
well. He
had paperwork with telephone numbers of the individuals whose trailers
he showed up ( unannounced) to inspect. The employee told him that he
needed to make
an appointment with those individuals so they could be there when he
inspected their trailers.
The inspector stated that they don't make appointments; they just show
up.
So the employee called the Shaw contact person and Shaw said that no
one should show up unannounced for a trailer inspection. Inspectors
should set up an
appointment with the resident individually. The Shaw person said that
within a couple weeks, FEMA will
require their contract personnel to either have a FEMA badge and/or a
Shaw shirt when visiting trailer sites.
Sometimes actual FEMA inspectors show up but they should have their
FEMA badges and government
credentials and should be wearing their FEMA shirts.

Also, when you make a maintenance call for a FEMA trailer, the person
that gets your work order should also not just show up, rather they
should set up an appointment with you and they should have a copy of the
work order for you to see.

Please let everyone know that they should instruct their families to
not let anyone in to "inspect" their trailer unless a prior apointment
has
been made, and that the person arriving has picture ID and credentials.
And, I would
suggest the appt. be set up when more than one person is at the
trailer and have at least one adult there. Anyone can buy an orange
shirt and have it printed
with the Shaw logo, so the shirt alone should not be enough proof. I'd
also worry about IDs when
anyone can make a fake ID. I think the best protection is to have two
adults present for the
inspection. I think they are supposed to be checking fire and smoke
detectors, etc.

On a related note, employers are hearing that some people have made
separate requests for
trailers at their residences, in addition to the employer trailer site.
Supposedly, FEMA is removing
names of people that are in "exclusive use" employer trailer sites from
their list of those eligible for resident
trailers. If a person wants both trailers, they need to be prepared to
call the FEMA 800 number
and make an appeal.

This needs to be made public so that we don't have the crimes that have
happened in
the past with fake utility company employees preying on the elderly,
women, and children once
they gain entry.

Ddk