[StBernard] Nunez Open House

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Feb 7 01:09:56 EST 2006

Industrial Technology Program Returns to Nunez Community College
Courses offer real world training and opportunity in St. Bernard

Students returning to Nunez Community College have a unique opportunity to
learn the skills they'll need to gain employment in the highly competitive
industrial market. The Industrial Technology Program was designed to give
students the training they need to find well well-paying jobs and has the
backing of seven industry partners in the community.

Industrial Technology is one of the cornerstone programs at Nunez Community
College as the Nunez college reopened its doors for the spring semester.
The program is already well above the expected number of enrolled students,
and seven industry partners have renewed their commitment to Nunez and the
Industrial Technology program through equipment and resources donations,
including scholarships and potential internships at their facilities.

"The industrial technology program is not only great for the economic
development of St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes, but it is the training
center for our future employees," according to Pete Maraia, Domino Sugar
Refinery Plant Manager, one of f the seven industrial partners involved in
creating and supporting the program.

An open house is set for February 7, 2006 at 5:30 p.m. at Nunez to welcome
the Industrial Technology students back to campus and to showcase the state
state-of of-the the-art industrial technology lab facility. Leaders of
local industries will gather to discuss the importance of the program to
the future of St. Bernard and Plaquemines economic development.

"We see this as a win-win for students and prospective employers, and a
catalyst for people to return to the Parish," said Albert Stroink refining
manager for Chalmette Refining, LLC, workers receive the type of training
they need to find jobs, and employers recognize these students have the
necessary education and skills needed."

The seven industrial partners involved in supporting this program at Nunez
are:

. American Sugar Refining, Inc. (Domino Sugar)
. Air Products
. Chalmette Refining, L.L.C.
. ConocoPhillips
. Entergy
. Murphy Oil Corporation

Additional support is also being provided by Bayou Safety and Supply
Company, Safety Management Professionals, United Scaffolding Company, and
Bayport Technical and Training, and Louisiana Workforce program.

"As our community strives to rebuild in the wake of Hurricane Katrina,
re-establishing this program is a way to renew our community and of to
developing a strong workforce" comments Alliance Refinery Manager, Peter
Batey.

Industry partners recognize this type of 'real world' training is vital for
rebuilding communities.

"This program will help us rebuild our community by developing a solid and
well-trained workforce, and ultimately strong companies," said Nunez
Chancellor, Dr. Thomas Warner. "For students, it offers opportunities for
career advancement, and for our industry partners, it will provide
high-quality job candidates and employees."