[StBernard] Loss of Use

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Feb 7 01:11:20 EST 2006

Wendy,

I'm no insurance expert, just a victim like you, but it is my understanding
from what State Farm told me that two weeks is all that is covered because
loss of use falls under homeowners coverage, not flood. Flood insurance
does not provide for any loss of use and they are saying the reason our
homes are uninhabitable is because of the flood. The funk, the mold, the
contamination, all flood. So the homeowners will only pay for two weeks
because of the mandatory evacuation order. If your roof were blown off or
some other thing caused by wind made your house uninhabitable, they would
continue to cover your expenses until that was fixed. You cannot even buy
loss of use coverage with your flood insurance. That is their way out. If
they can get out of paying, they will.

Laurie