[StBernard] Craig - ideas / questions

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Feb 24 17:16:31 EST 2006

Craig,

First, let me express my sincere appreciation to you for communicating with
your displaced citizens.

A few ideas / questions:

The St Bernard website needs to contain relevant data and documentation in a
timely manner. Council minutes have not been updated for the last four
meetings and agendas for future meetings are not published. The website
should be used as an official record for the parish (like The St Bernard
Voice). The website should also be limited to factual information and
proposals. The website is the only means of official communication for
displaced residents.

As part of the website, create a listserv similar to Westley's, to which
people could subscribe to receive official documentation from St Bernard
Parish Government. This would allow a direct broadcast to parish resident.
Only official messages would be broadcast via this listserv (and it must not
be used for political commentary and the e-mail addresses can NEVER be sold
or used for political campaigns).

What is the role of Mr. Dysart and what are his accomplishments /
contributions since being hired by parish government? What are the terms of
his contract and when does it expire?

Parish government needs to explicitly detail what needs to be done to a home
prior to the March 31 deadline for blighted housing and what the penalty is
for failing to fall into compliance. Is being on the parish government list
for gutting sufficient? This needs to be detailed now.

The property value in the parish continues to diminish. Homeowners are
selling property for $20,000 and less. Why not propose a moratorium on
selling property for less than 50% of the new appraised value. This is
extremely concerning when you figure many of the properties are being
purchased by corporations, not individuals. I'm not sure if this can be
done legally, but it's just a thought.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family and thank you for
providing the vital resource of communication.

Best,
Alan Thriffiley, Jr.