[StBernard] Home values

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Feb 26 14:47:05 EST 2006

I was at the parish's accessor's office and was stunned to find
PRE-Katrina
values of homes in my area at $93,000 rather than what I thought was
$130,000! Above Genie St from Lyndell to Karen.

Values were hovering $110,000 ten years ago, it seemed, and the market
was
strong being a Seller's market with people looking for homes in that
area of
Chalmette. Why did the values drop prior to Katrina? It's important
because
any buyout is based on PRE-Katrina Valued home prices and if buyouts
become reality, people will not have enough to seek another home,
especially
if there are seniors, disabled, etc. who might have paid off their home,
or
where loans are not an option to them to meet what would be needed for
another home away from that area.

Suggestions? Comments?

Jer.