[StBernard] Insurances and fortunate people

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 2 23:16:03 EST 2006

Rhonda, I agree with you, wholeheartedly. Just the fact that many either
were not told they needed insurance, perhaps even an oversight tangled
within escrows or high insurance premiums that disguised values, etc. is not
an excuse to condemn someone as one who "tried to beat the system with a
gamble". Yes, we can consider those who had enough to rebuild without
extreme pain --indeed fortunate and blessed. So many hurt people out in da
parish, being condemned as reckless, negligent and "had it coming". Instead
of focusing pressure upon the citizens, we should focus energies on
governments, from local to federal to get it together. CNN poses the "local
government" tonight as an inept one 6 months headed to a year with storms
coming. The leaders need to be stronger than they are.

Strange, but there was no absence of "tough-talk" going into an election.
Why aren't there demanding strong voices (as of the gnashing of teeth,
biblically at Armageddon) as if the end of the world is here and we either
do-or-die? None of us deserve this beating, and certainly a do-or-die
movement would show da parish is backed-into-a-corner emotionally,
spiritally, and physically. They were shown more than "we got da spirit to
parade". Where I reside, people's attitudes are focusing around a "they must
be healed because they're partying." This could come to haunt us for quite a
time yet to come. I pray it's not true, but knowing how the world can forget
us after the next disaster, I suspect this can be the case. We indeed need
to be more proactive, starting at leadership as to avoid a "mob scene".

-==Jer==-

I would like to reply to the person complaining about the people who did not
have insurance. I had insurance on my home but was not required to have
flood so I did not have flood. I owe $143,000 on my home and was paid a
total of $11,000 by inusurance company for wind damage only. I don't even
have enough to begin to fix my home which have 10 feet of water in it. I can
get a SBA loan and then have 2 notes on the same home that I had before and
end up owing over $200,000 for that same home. So before you complain about
owning $27,000 you should consider yourself lucky you had flood insurance.
Because you certainly wouldn't want to be in my shoes!

Rhonda D.