[StBernard] Lack of Catholic Pastoral Care ( KC)

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 5 10:56:19 EST 2006

After reading about ten of the messages I want to add my two cents.

I live near Jackson, MS for 12 years and am a practicing Catholic .I am
also Deputy Grand Knight of our Council for Knights of Columbus. Most
importantly I was born and raised in Chalmette and my folks resided there
until Katrina.

The church I attend St. Paul Catholic in Brandon housed evacuees from Ciara
House for three months in the aftermath of katrina. This is 14 grown ups
with mental disabilities. An old activity building was converted into a
makeshift home. Food was provided by a nursing home for three months three
meals a day . To this day they are part of OUR FAMILY although they are back
uptown . Our brother Knights cooked at the Mississippi Coliseum for three
weeks while 600 evacuees were housed.

For the folks who were in our area -- we held pot luck dinners nearly weekly
. The kids were allowed into CCD clases at no charge . Catholic Charities in
Jackson converted an old Walmart into a distribution Center for food and
clothes that was stocked by trustees.

While reading the prior posts, I will say that many areas especially in
Mississippi - Catholics are in the minority. With that said logisitcs and
support are probably not what many are used to compared to the amount of
Catholics in STB.The nearest Cathoic church near mine is probably 15 miles.
If you took 15 miles in STB you would probably have 6 churches within the
proximity.That is why it is somewhat troubling to read because of what our
council accomplished.

The reason I mention all of the above is that we were blessed to have
several families from Chalmette at our church and were welcomed with open
arms . Not only did many open the homes they opened the hearts. After
manning 21,000 hours as a Council many geared to ward Katrina relief
efforts, I am glad to say that Knights of Columbus as a whole has served the
needs of many in need.

MPB