[StBernard] Censorship

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 5 11:58:27 EST 2006

I guess it has been a few months since it has come up, but I guess it needs
repeating.

This list is owned, maintained, and paid for by me, so, to put it bluntly, I
am king. No one has rights or a vote but me.

That said, I try to let as many emails go through as possible, but it can be
a very fine line on some messages. When emails start to turn ugly, I start
blocking more of them.

Whether or not an email is ugly can be in the eye of the beholder and that
can vary depending on the mood I am in. If I'm in a bad mood, I see more
messages as being negative and I start to block more of them. There are
times when I'm not quite sure and I'll give it the benefit of the doubt by
letting it sit for a day before making a decision.

Sometimes I let a response to an email go through, just so that both sides
can say they had their say. But again, it is strictly a judgment call, and
it can vary depending on my mood.

For some people this is a very high-volume list, just this morning we've had
18 emails go out. The first one at 9:30 and here it is at 10:45 and I'm
still at it.

Please remember, for every message you see, I see it twice. For every
message that goes through, especially as a reply, I clean-up some of the
extra stuff that gets added to every message so that they contain only the
message itself. I also help out those who are having a problem with their
subscriptions.

In short, it is very much like a part-time job, but just about everyone on
this list has come to rely on it in some fashion. In its current form,
which was created roughly around the first week of September, we have had
over 5,000 messages flow through. Every message from September 13 is
available online:
<"http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/stbernard/">

I'm not asking for kudos or anything of that nature, I'm just asking
everyone to go watch tv for a while if an email gets your blood to boiling.
Calm down first before replying. If you have a problem with a concept that
is one thing, but don't have a problem with the person that is giving the
concept.

We've all heard it a million times growing up, and if you missed it, go
watch Bambi again and listen to Thumper. "If you can't say something nice,
don't say anything."

Westley