[StBernard] Today's charette meeting

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 8 23:51:04 EST 2006

Deborah,

Let me say it if no one else had. Nothing against this guy, but why are we
looking at reinventing the wheel? I have seen many photos and articles on
the phenominal job Homestead, Florida did in rebuilding. Based on what I've
seen, I like how they went about rebuilding their community after Hurricane
Andrew - the residences are beautiful and I agree with their toughened
building codes. When you see the before Andrew and post-reconstruction
photos, you can't believe it's the same town. Many Homestead residents felt
their rebuilding plan might have been too bold, some thought it was a big
pill to swallow. But today, no one's complaining.

So, here's a no-brainer...why don't we get a local team together, go down to
south Florida and get with the group that planned and rebuilt Homestead.
Hell, I'll even bet the folks in Homestead will bend over backwards fifty
different ways to help us - they understand what we've been through and
continue to go through.

I say we take the Homestead model and tweak it a little where needed. Oh
sure, not everyone will like it upon learning more details, but it is
nevertheless a plan and more importantly a "direction" for us in St. Bernard
to start moving toward. We don't have to reinvent the wheel. I'd be
willing to donate my time to the trip. Hell, I'll even pay my own way.

I'm curious to know what others think of this.

- John Scurich