[StBernard] To Syl

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 17 19:15:51 EST 2006

Syl, I am sure you are not alone. I appreciate your post.
Having always had a calling for the elderly (not calling you that I mean) I
hear this from many of my friends, having built their house with their own
hands. I mean their hands, not hired someone and wrote a check.
My position is not even sure to stay here forever as I have roots overseas
and could go back in an instant and have a neat place, family , conveniences
etc. But I stay here by choice, as I was truly content living in the parish
and only regretted that it got so crowded over the last ten years.
We are coming back in the next couple of months as soon as we have the power
and gas line stuff squared away and can put in walls, doors and windows.
Once settled, we can clear our mind and look for land further up north for
hunting and an evacuation spot and possible retirement there if St Bernard
either dies or turns into some futuristic tourist circus.
Call me sentimental and old fashioned, and I will be proud to be called
that. I changed many times and drastically in my life, was never afraid of
something new, settled thousands of miles away from my home (very
UNStBernardian, who live close to mama) and make my choices based on my
experiences. I am ready for some traditions and steadfastness. No more rat
race for me. My long range plan do not include resell value and property
usage but personal satisfaction and contentment in my later years.

-------------

Regarding CK's statement "Very few people are in your position and
are
confident enough to say that they are going to rebuild where they
are, live
in the house forever, and never have to sell it. No one I know ever
buys a
house with that attitude."

When my husband & I bought our home, we intended to stay in it well
into
retirement. We were a young married couple and the area we bought
in had
everything we needed through all phases of our life. A church &
catholic
school nearby, stores, restaurants and wonderful neighbors and
friends. Even
though all of these things have been changed (some temporarily, some
permanently) we still plan to remain in our home. Initially
building and
now rebuilding was not done with resale value in mind.

Syl