[StBernard] Demolition permits

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Mar 20 14:12:37 EST 2006

Gaynel, (and Sue the special person),

To clarify the March 31st deadline: this is a deadline that was set to give
the government an opportunity to attempt to have people who have made a
decision to gut or demo or repair their homes to indicate that in the office
of community development. After March 31, residents can still sign up for
demolition and gutting, the idea is to help move people along in the
process, expecting that there are many people who may be stuck in the middle
of all the what if scenarios that have not been answered yet. We (community
development) will begin tracking those houses that have not made any
decision and assist in getting people information that will help make a
decision. Those owners who have just walked away and make no effort to do
anything to their property will be processed as a blighted property to
protect those owners who are doing something. The safest thing if one is
undecided is to have the house put on th e gutting list- that will buy some
extra time in the process. Once gutted, there will be ample notice given
once the LRA plan is finalized and decisions will be made about the fate of
properties, then people will have to take further action. As far as a
deadline for getting the house demolished or gutted for free- there has not
been one set as this is determined by the funding sources with FEMA.

As far as a "buy out" area give your councilperson a call at 278-4217; I'm
sure he/she will talk with you about it- if you can't reach them call me.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and God Bless,
Craig