[StBernard] The Archdiocese

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 28 20:12:17 EST 2006

We find it frustrating as St. Bernard Catholics that Fr. Maestri
announced last fall that basically St. Bernard was too unsafe and then
was quoted in the TP (and I wished I had saved it so I could quote
verbatim) that with regards to Hannan High, the Archdiocese would have
to see a poplulation returning (which they didn't) and this I remember
distinctly,and to rebuild HHS would require "support from the business
community". We remember it because we asked what the business
community had to do with recovering our only Catholic high school. And
since the Archdiocese considered only closing the school permanently or
moving it to their property in Goodbee, alas, we find HHS starting up
next fall on the Northshore, never to return to St. Bernard once they
invest in building in Goodbee. Of course there is a demand for more
private schools in St. Tammany parish and it will be an instant
financial success there.

Then in the TP on 3/23/06 we read that the same Fr. Maestri, on behalf
of the Archdiocese, with regards to re-opening St. Mary's Academy at
St. James the Major parish buildings in Gentilly, "We need to give
families a reason to come back to the city...". No questioning safety,
no questioning what population is there now to support a private
education, NO COMMENT ABOUT NEEDING THE SUPPORT OF THE GENTILLY
BUSINESS COMMUNITY. Never mind that St. Mary's, like St. Aug and Xavier
Prep, are all NON-ARCHDIOCESE owned schools. Figure out the common
denominator.

So while the Archdiocese concentrates on schools that are owned
privately by religious orders, we lost our only Catholic high school
and the Catholics of St. Bernard are dependent on the generosity of
people in other states and the donations of services by local
businesses with regards to restoring even one church and school. And I
don't count Catholic Charities giving out food and mental counseling as
being on par.

The fiasco happening at St. Augustine Parish which has been closed as a
parish by the Archdiocese is a reflection of the flock's frustration
with leadership. Lucky for Maestri the St. Bernard Catholics have
submitted to the will of the Church quietly and obediently regarding
our churches and schools. I have sent several emails to their website
and have yet to get a phone call or reply email. God hears me, but
the Archdiocese turns a deaf ear. We just hope our offerings in the
collection basket are staying in St. Bernard and not going to privately
owned schools elsewhere. But once it's in the basket, we know its the
Archdiocese's money, just like the thousands of dollars raised and
banked for HHS on the backs of the HHS families who gave their time,
talents, and money for all the Catholic schools and churches in St.
Bernard Parish.

The Kellers