[StBernard] FEMA Delays Flood Maps Again

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 29 21:53:49 EST 2006

Here is a statement from Congressman William Jefferson concerning the issue:

Following an evening meeting with Gulf Coast Recovery Czar Donald Powell,
U.S. Representative William Jefferson (D-LA) announced that $6 billion more
is needed to certify levees surrounding his Orleans and Jefferson Parish
district, as well as other Southeastern Louisiana parishes, to move forward
with rebuilding efforts. In the meeting, Powell released new cost estimates
for work to certify the levees, which is necessary to complete Federal
Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) flood maps - a determining factor in city
planning and rebuilding efforts.

"Congress needs to immediately authorize $6 billion more so that the FEMA
flood maps can be completed with plans for stronger, certified levees in
place," Jefferson said. "These funds are crucial to the release of the
flood maps, and the maps are crucial to the future of our city and region.
People cannot rebuild or get new flood insurance without knowing the proper
elevation standards for their homes and neighborhoods. This money is a
critical component of our rebuilding effort."

Powell released the new cost estimates to the delegation after only recently
receiving the information from the Army Corps of Engineers. Funding for the
certified levees will affect the way FEMA determines elevation standards, as
the stronger levees could ensure the safety of more residents, in more
neighborhoods. New FEMA flood maps were expected for the New Orleans area
by the end of March; Mississippi received new FEMA flood requirements in
November of last year.

"Unfortunately, this information was not provided to Mr. Powell, the
Louisiana delegation or Congress sooner but I urge my colleagues not to let
this new information prevent urgent action," Jefferson said. "The need to
certify our levees and complete the flood maps is real and we should act
immediately to correct the Corps´ earlier mistakes, which compromised the
safety of hundreds of thousands of people, so that Americans can return and
rebuild their homes and their lives."

In her opening statement to the Legislature on Monday, Governor Blanco
emphasized the importance of the FEMA maps. Blanco said, “I created a
housing registry so we could implement the state´s housing plan as soon as
the FEMA flood maps, local rebuilding decisions, and federal money become
available.

I recently met with displaced residents enrolling in our registry. Over
87,000 homeowners have called our registry thus far. I heard optimism in
the voices of people wanting to return home. We must honor their optimism
with results.

As the federally required public comment period for different stages of our
housing plan concludes, I will call upon this legislature to adopt
resolutions signing off on the plan. These resolutions will allow us to
move forward with our application for the Community Development Block Grant
funding.

With your approval, we can send our plans to Washington and get this money
where it belongs: Into the hands of our people.

Four of our parishes are still awaiting the FEMA flood maps that determine
base elevation requirements. Local governments must have the FEMA flood
maps to determine the footprints for rebuilding safely. Seven months have
passed, and we are still waiting.