[StBernard] Governor's statement on Southeastern Louisiana levee repair delays

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 30 23:02:10 EST 2006

Governor's statement on Southeastern Louisiana levee repair delays

"I am deeply disturbed by yesterday's news that it will cost an additional
six billion dollars to restore and strengthen the federal levees in the New
Orleans region and Southeast Louisiana.

"This monumental miscalculation is an outrage. We were all operating in good
faith. The President believed, as we did, that the $3.5 billion would get us
where we needed to be to get the job done.

"It's very shocking to learn that we need $6 billion more.

"This means that, just two months before hurricane season, the Corps of
Engineers informs us they cannot ensure even the minimum safety of
Southeastern Louisiana. This is totally unacceptable.

"I believe that Congress must move quickly to authorize and appropriate the
funds necessary to finish the job before hurricane season is upon us. I call
on Congress to do so immediately.

"In addition, the inability to restore and strengthen the levees means that
the FEMA flood maps that we have been waiting for and that our citizens so
desperately need in order to make the right decisions about rebuilding may
have to wait even longer.

"This could delay and jeopardize our recovery even more, and it keeps
thousands of families and businesses on hold and in limbo.

"Something has to be done quickly.

"Our citizens and businesses must have the confidence to return home and
reinvest in their communities. That confidence is built on a foundation of
strong levees.

"Louisiana has done its part to give Congress confidence that we have
reformed our levee board system to ensure professional maintenance while
instituting an integrated, statewide hurricane and coastal protection plan.

"I have presented a comprehensive and well-thought out plan to help people
rebuild their homes and communities and Congress is on the way to fully
funding that plan.

"But for this plan to work, our people must have the confidence to come
home. And that requires strong levees. We can't have one without the other.

"As members of Congress work to provide the funds to complete this project,
I hope they will also investigate how such a massive miscalculation
occurred.

"We can't rebuild with confidence until we know the city and the region is
totally safe.

"I am counting on Congress to understand that this is absolutely essential
to our survival."

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's
People